Let’s face it, paper mail is a slow, outdated, and error-prone way to communicate. For businesses who receive a high volume of mail, keeping up with the avalanche of incoming communications can be costly. The expenses associated with hiring staff, setting up a dedicated workspace, and purchasing the equipment required to process mail can add up fast.
However, in many cases, eliminating paper mail from your business processes can be impractical, or impossible.
Organizations looking to streamline the flow of mail into the business and improve operational efficiency should consider the numerous benefits of leveraging a third-party digital mailroom service.
What is a digital mailroom?
A digital mailroom is a service that helps businesses automate the processing of inbound mail by converting paper-based communications into digital files that are routed and distributed electronically.
Mailroom automation eliminates the need for internal processing teams and complicated mail workflows by outsourcing the sorting, conversion and electronic distribution of your mail to an off-site team.
Information extracted from inbound paper mail is converted into structured data that can be freely distributed across the the business, enabling instantaneous data sharing among your team and greatly improving the speed in which mail based communications can be processed.
Mailroom automation enures that incoming mail correspondence processed and distributed the moment it arrives, regardless of where it enters the organization.
How does a digital mailroom work?
When a business implements a digital mailroom service, the responsibility of processing mail is offloaded to an outside team. The process is simple and can be summarized into 5 simple steps.
- Inbound mail is forwarded to a third party mail processing facility.
- The mail received is sorted and categorized based on specific criteria outlined by the business.
- Packages and any mail the business requests for immediate forwarding is mailed directly to an address designated by the business. Mail marked by the business for destruction is shredded without opening.
- The remaining mail moves into the digital scanning pipeline, where each piece of mail is individually scanned and converted into a digital file, usually a PDF or TIFF.
- Your digital mail is delivered to a secure repository of your choice, uploaded to a secure FTP, or added to the document management system of the business’s choosing.
What are the advantages of a digital mailroom?
No matter what type of industry you’re operating in, outsourcing your mail processing with digital mailroom services offers huge cost and time-saving benefits including:
- Improve the efficiency of your mail processing pipeline.
- Lower your processing costs per item of mail.
- Reduce staff and/or manual labor associated with sorting and distributing mail internally.
- Improvements to responsiveness and the quality of customer communications.
- Reallocate employee time previously spent processing mail toward business-centric tasks.
- Reclaim valuable office space that was previously occupied by your mail processing staff.
- Eliminate the need for satellite mail rooms and overly complicated mail distribution.
- Distribute mail easily and share instantly with remote team members.
- Mail passes through fewer hands, offering a boost to data security.
- Create an electronic audit trail for incoming communications.
- Gain actionable insights into business processes and enhance monitoring capabilities